Thursday, April 3, 2008

Raiders Won't Like New Rules

By Rick Richardson

There are some new rules for the 2008 season. Defensive players can now force the offensive player out of bounds negating the sideline grab. The new rule was instituted to keep referees from having to decide whether the receiver would have stayed in bounds if it were not for contact by the defensive player. Prediction: This will only increase the pass interference penalties as corners will play the sideline more aggressively. This rule change takes away many fantastic plays. Some of the more acrobatic circus catches near the sideline will turn into a run of the mill incompletion.

However, the one that will bite the Raiders in the old pirate booty on a regular basis, say six times a year while touring the wild AFC West, will be the new facemask rule. No longer are there 5-yard incidental facemask infractions. The league felt that this put undue pressure on the official to make a judgment call. With the new rule, tugging the facemask and letting go immediately is not penalized, but if you hang on it is automatically 15 yards. How is this change? It is still very much a judgment call.

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. ~ Murphy’s Law.

There will be plenty of controversy to go around next season. I wish the NFL had left well enough alone on both rule changes.

Note to Raider players. If history is a teacher, you had better stretch that neck, because it is going to be stretched for you the aforementioned 6 times a year, with nary a yellow flag to be seen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the NFL used replay the way that the NHL does, and called things fairly, again the way the NHL does, then facemask penalty changes, and any other rules, would not be a problem. The reality, however, is that we have been the ones screwed with awful calls for 35 years, from the 1972 Immaculate Reception to the Tuck Rule. It's always 11 v 18 (refs)

April 4, 2008 at 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, I am also Mo, so let's not get too confused.

I think that football is played on the field so I am elated that they got rid of the force-out rule. Too many rules have been created to favor the offense. I love the long ball offense ala-davis but let's get real. If the QB can't throw it in bounds and the receiver can't legitimately beat the secondary, …. well, go play horse-shoes.

The same goes for the face mask, a push on the face mask is just plan and simple in-your-face- football. Full-on grabbing it causes injuries and makes football look like professional wrestling. I am only disappointed that they didn't eliminate that freakin’ calling time out from the sidelines. STOP MICRO MANAGING THE FIELD!!!! PLAY FOOTBALL ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!

Mo SECTION 142

April 4, 2008 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Rick Richardson said...

anonymous 1#-Not a hockey fan so I can't comment on how well it would transfer, so I'll take your word for it. It was very hard not to write about your second point. I think there are enough bad calls for a nice chapter in a book. We could title it 11 v 18. I like it!

anonymous 2#- I wish I could agree on the force out rule. This rule is by far less concerning to me as the face mask rule, but I still like rewarding a nice sideline two toe down snag. I am afraid it isn't going to be worth the bother anymore to attempt that grab. I particularly think that the endzone is going to get real small this year, resulting in fewer points scored and more interference penalties. I hate it when the officials become so much of the game.

The face mask rule I can't stand. If by the push on the face mask you mean the stiff arm, I agree with you. The stiff arm is just good football. However, as a former coach I hate any kind of facemask infraction. For one it is poor technique to get up around the grill. I always followed the rule "low man wins", and taught tackling low as a basic fundamental. I see too many pro players, especially defensie backs tackling too high and flailing around player's facemasks. Facemask penalties drive me crazy! They are absolutley avoidable. If you are grabbing around the headgear, you are tackling too high and deserve to be run over. Just my philosophy.

Thanks for posting!

April 4, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home